Making a living from home certainly has its perks—no grueling commute, no loud coworker in the cubicle next to you, and “office attire” can be whatever you want it to be.
But working from home has its challenges, and requires discipline and dedication to stay motivated and successful day to day. Network Dominators helps our clients increase their earnings by making the most of their home-based businesses, through coaching, expertise and helping them find a legitimate business they can run at home.
Finding the perfect set-up may take some trial and error, but you’ve got to start somewhere. Here are my top 10 tips for successfully working from home:
- Define your Workspace. Have a specific area to be used only during the hours you work. Ideally, your home office should be a room or space you can close off at the end of your workday, but any space where you can put work completely “away” during off hours will work.
- Find your system. For some it’s to-do lists, for others its an app. It doesn’t matter what it is, but find a tool or a system that you like and use it to stay on track while working from home.
- Balance work and life. Just because your office is in the other room does not mean it’s convenient to slip in a few extra hours of work. In fact, Network Dominators often helps clients find home-based businesses that will let them work less and take work-life balance to a level they’ve never known.
- Develop relationships. Don’t work in a silo. Stay in touch with colleagues, clients and potential clients, and other people in your field.
- Communicate well. This is fundamental for success in your home-based business. Not being face-to-face could potentially make communicating more difficult, so find ways to bridge that gap. Things like Skype and WebEx are great tools for “faking” the face-to-face meeting.
- Get dressed. It doesn’t have to be your fanciest suit, but working from home still means putting your best self forward to make every day a success—and your best self is probably not in pajamas.
- Minimize distractions. Whether its social media sites or a pile of laundry taunting you from the corner, but it out of site so you can focus on work for as long as you need to.
- Make sure you’re plugged in. Keep up with technology so you’re working efficiently, as well as backing up and tracking your work in the best way possible.
- Recruit a mentor. Is there someone in your field who can help you do what you do better? A coach can keep you motivated and thinking about long-term goals when the little things frustrate you.
- Expand your team. Ever imagine what you could get done if there were two yous? Recruiting other members in your home-based business will help you grow and move toward success even faster.
With nearly 20 years of experience and success in the industry, Connie Weddell is an expert on home-based business and the founder of Network Dominators, launching 1/1/2014 at Network Dominators.