There are several variables involved in running a business and one of the most important things you must pay attention to is the platform you chose to run your business on. No matter how great your product, service, or delivery is, if you are operating on a tedious platform, it can quickly stunt the growth of your company and profitability.
Two of the biggest players in the e-commerce world are BigCommerce and Magneto. These two platforms are a mile ahead of any other platforms and they have built a very strong reputation for themselves with their flexibility, ease of integration, and exciting features. Let’s take a closer look at these two e-commerce platforms.
Big Commerce vs Magneto: Two e-commerce platforms, their pros, and their cons.
Magneto is an open-source platform that has been making consistent strides in the industry to look and feel like a software as a service (SaaS) platform with the introduction of cloud capabilities. With this feature, users can now have the option of having a single vendor in charge of both software and hosting.
BigCommerce is already well-positioned in the industry as a software as a service platform and they also have the flexibility and ease of integration that is often associated with open source platforms. With BigCommerce, you also get the first 4 months of service free of charge.
Some people are already familiar with Magneto and now we are coming to the end of the road for Magneto v1. So it goes without saying that there is a hunt for the next best thing available in the market. If you are having trouble deciding which way to go, the next session will break down the two platforms for you so you can make an informed decision.
BigCommerce is very popular in the market and it is due to some of the under-listed advantages:
- Upgrades and patches are automatic and you don’t have to worry about whether or not you are using the latest version of the product as you are always upgraded to the latest version without any break in operation or downtime.
- With every update and upgrade in BigCommerce, you can get instant access to all the new features and you have total control over them.
- BigCommerce comes with hosting with unlimited bandwidth.
- You don’t have to worry about maintenance costs with BigCommerce so you can focus your energy on growing your business.
- You have access to the drag and drop page builder on any plans you’re on and this is not common with other open-source platforms.
Magneto is a close second to BigCommerce in the industry and this is mainly due to some of the following drawbacks:
- It is not so easy to stay updated as you have to keep up with all updates and security patches that aren’t automatically installed.
- When you make additional customizations, it becomes a lot harder and expensive to maintain the platform. This has a huge impact on updates, upgrades and adding extensions.
- With Magneto, costs can vary incredibly. You have to deal with the added costs of infrastructure, development, hosting, and maintenance.
- Magneto is not very intuitive to use and you often have to rely on Magneto developer support to get things done and issues resolved. The learning curve with every new installment of magneto is also very steep and it takes a lot of time and effort to get abreast of the new features.
In conclusion, BigCommerce comes out on top in this comparison of two great SaaS platforms. It is built for seamless integration and use and scalability are automatic. With the 4 months, free use, and 10% off for migration options for those who want to make the switch from Magneto, Big Commerce is unrivalled as the best solution in the market. Regardless of the platform, you’re currently on right now, you must give Big Commerce a try as it comes at zero risks.